Monday, April 19, 2010
Actually I've been here all along, but I accidentally (or was it???) got locked in my regift closet organizing all of those holiday gifts... boy was it crowded in there---
Ok, really there has been max family drama this new year, and also for some reason this blog was chosen as one of the lucky few to be redirected to other various websites for the past several months, anytime someone tried to access it, including me. Some of the sites were not any that I would be proud or willing to be associated with, either, and so I apologize to anyone that was possibly offended, confused or disappointed. (Or for some, perhaps none of the above...glad I could link you up!) I wouldn't have been so bothered if they were redirected to my website, but noooo--- it seems as if the bug has been eliminated--hopefully permanently. Very frustrating indeed.
In any case, I am gradually getting back in the game. I will be updating my website as well, so keep checking it for significant info--!(That hasn't been updated since December, either.) As for tweeting--- well that has been neglected as well, along with my Facebook page....so what exactly have I been doing??!!
You'd think that as an "author", and someone who is rarely at a loss for words, especially the written ones (ever get a short and sweet email from me?? Exactly!) I would be glued to the computer chair 24/7 tapping the keyboard more productively and frequently. Must be due to all of my time being spent in front of the TV,with my feet up, eating bon bons. (at least that would explain my expanding waistline--)
To help with my time management, and so that I can start and complete all of my daily tasks, including my social media management, I am using a timer now when I'm at the computer--like I do with the kids (so I don't lose my focus when I'm--HEY LOOK! There's a dust bunny!!) 30 min. at a pop 6x a day. Think it'll help?? Wait! It's time for another Lifetime movie so I have to sign off now. I'll continue this later on. I actually do have some important stuff to say...! Now where is that box of bon bons...??
Monday, December 28, 2009
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Anyone can simply regift, but “gracious regifters” are those who take regifting to a classier and more personal level, and seriously strive to make a “regiftable” gift a suitable item to give as a present to a person they care about.
if you care to listen in...you can even field me some of those burning regifting questions and dilemmas you have been meaning to ask me. I received one (which I haven't posted yet because I'm still trying to figure out how to respond) from a reporter who was extremely anti-regift but who was tasked with writing an article about it with a "positive spin" and he was hoping I could help him out. Not long after that I got a phone call from "another" reporter, oddly with a similar story. I did my best to convince him that it wasn't that big of a deal, and if he didn't want to do it, fine, but he shouldn't be so hard on those who may regift to him (although he would be one I wouldn't necessarily "graciously" regift to...!) He seemed a little miffed and insulted when I told him he had already regifted because he said --rather proudly, I might add!-- that he usually bought several of the same things to use for gifts when he got a great deal-- "Well, then, Mr. Non-Regifter Reporter, those are considered BIB's and so you have regifted...!" He was not at all amused when I explained that I made up the rules and I added some new ones... There has been a few articles printed that consisted solely of my name and book title so I'm not sure if any of those writers penned the question sent to me, but I have my suspicions...!
In any case, I still think that Regifting Day should be Regifting Week, and/or it should be after the holidays, not before. And I also think that we should rename regifting, since the very term seems offensive. (Thanks Jerry Seinfeld, but I still love you!!--- BTW, did you ever think of all the terms we use today that were coined on that show??!!)
OK, so look around today and gather up all of your "regiftables" --- and graciously regift something today!! (or tomorrow, or the next day...!!)
Sunday, December 13, 2009
But there is some confusion. Other websites declare December 18 as "National Regifting Day", which would make it Friday this year. Google it and you will see what I mean. Last year, the Thurs. before Christmas was Dec. 18, that date has stuck with many.
So which day is it?? Which day should we go out of our way to regift something...if we haven't already???! Personally, I don't see a problem with acknowledging it both days! After all, if you are going to dedicate an entire day to eliminate some excess inventory of your regiftables in the most gracious of regifting methods, one day is simply not enough time. Two days is not much help, either, if you have a large regift closet. Actually, an entire 7 days of "National Regifting Week" should be put on the calendar. Just think about it-- each day could be something different, like Hanukkah or Kwanza, only without the religious or spiritual meaning. I'm going to ponder the ways the days could be broken down and get back to this later. Now I've got a bunch of ideas, and you know how scary that can be.....! Till next time-!
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Hey, if you are still shopping for gifts....(I haven't even made lists yet--) this is a good way to get a FREE book!! Weeeoooo!! Send in your best regifting stories (even if you already told me...!) I'll post the best ones on my website and/or blog. (Be forewarned that everything that I post on this blog somehow gets posted on Facebook also, so if you know how to fix that, let me know...!) I get to help pick the winner, but I cannot be bribed...I'm pretty sure I can't...I doubt that I can...well, you could try...
WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE REGIFTABLE GIFT???
- Born and raised in Toledo, Ohio, I began regifting at an early age. My whole family routinely regifted and still does. I never realized it was such a social slap-in-the-face until I was much older and could afford to actually purchase presents for people. But still, I regularly regifted. Friends were offended, co-workers and employees were enraged, and customers and clients were incredulous! Why in the world would anyone want to give someone a gift that they had already gotten? “Well”, I wondered, “Why not?” It seemed to me that there were numerous reasons to resort to regifting when giving a gift was expected. For one, why waste a present that could be perfectly appropriate for another person, just because it wasn’t something that I necessarily needed or wanted, when someone else seriously might be excited to receive it? Plus, it seemed as if some pretty good gifts were getting wasted, when the whole world was working on reducing and recycling our otherwise useless stuff for the protection of our planet. I figured (as my family had frequently found before) that regifting was really the most responsible way for anyone to recycle their unwanted gift waste, once and for all!
"Regifting Revival" In The News!!!
What they said...
(As of 12/28/09)
*indicates original article- most are reprints/reposts of originals
Audios/Videos/Live Interviews* re:
Regifting Revival! A Guide to Reusing Gifts Graciously!
- *BookExpoAmerica (Podcast): http://authorsontourlive.com/regifting-revival/
- *FOX43T.V. (On-Air Interview): http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/1146950/regifting_revival
- *WBCL Mid-Morning Show: (Radio Broadcast) http://content.streamaudio.com/podcast/1721/mm20091216.mp3
- *Color of Money w/Michelle Singletary (Wash.Post Live Q&A): http://view.ed4.net/v/AADB45/SHXOW/WLLLB54/65Y5RX/MAILACTION=1
- *News/Talk 760 WJR: http://www.wjr.net/Article.asp?id=1634175&spid=6551
Articles, Columns, Blogs re: Regifting Revival! A Guide to Reusing Gifts Graciously!
- My website: http://www.regiftingrevival.com/
- My Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home
Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/27/AR2009112704043.html Washington
Dispatch: http://zoominlocal.com/lexington-dispatch/2009/12/01/#?article=669279 Lexington
- *Philly.Com (
Inquirer): http://www.philly.com/philly/living/holidays/Re-gift_the_right_way.html Philadelphia
AlbanyTimes Union: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=873508
- *The Daily Green: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/regifting-ideas-47112001
- *Lincoln Journal Star: *1)http://www.journalstar.com/article_8d779690-e5db-11de-9b18-001cc4c002e0.html *2)http://www.journalstar.com/lifestyles/article_760f31e8-e5db-11de-beb7-001cc4c002e0.html *3)http://www.journalstar.com/article_8d779690-e5db-11de-9b18-001cc4c002e0.html
- Black Americaweb.com: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=articles/money/personal_finance_money/14585&page=11
- Boston.com (
Globe): http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2009/11/29/theres_no_shame_in_regifting_as_long_as_you_adhere_to_a_few_key_rules/ Boston
- Omaha.com (
World Herald): http://www.omaha.com/article/20091130/MONEY/711309985 Omaha
- HeraldNet (
Daily Herald): http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20091129/BIZ/711299929 Washington Bee: http://www.fresnobee.com/871/story/1728603.html Fresno
- Mobile Daily Press: http://mobile.dailypress.com/inf/infomo?view=business_item&feed:a=dailypress_1min&feed:c=business&feed:i=50718541
Times: http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/228668 Roanoke
- Contra Costa Times: http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_13869029?source=rss
- Yahoo/Green: http://green.yahoo.com/
Sun Media: http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Lifestyle/2009/12/04/pf-12046966.html Vancouver
AlbanyTimes Union(“Simpler Living” blog): http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerliving/
- Record Net (San Joachim Record): http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091202/A_BIZ0202/912020308/-1/a_biz#STS=g30gwpfu.o7w
- Examiner.com (
Examiner): http://www.examiner.com/x-14868-Knoxville-Books-Examiner~y2009m11d29-Before-the-holidays-read-up-on-regifting Knoxville
- LJWorld (
Journal World & News): http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/dec/01/regifting-revival-makes-economic-sense/ Lawrence
ReadingEagle ( Minneapolis Eagle): http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=172063 Reading AlbanyTimes Union(“Simpler Living” blog): http://blog.timesunion.com/simplerliving/regift-the-right-way/17089/
- *The Oklahoman (“Parties Extra” blog): http://blog.newsok.com/partiesextra/2009/11/24/20%E2%80%A640%E2%80%A660%E2%80%A6-etiquette-question/
- *Woman’s Day Magazine: http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Money/Saving-Money/Spring-Clean-for-Cash.html
- “Eco Justice” blog: http://northeastipl.blogspot.com/
- “Organized by Marcie” blog: http://organizedbymarcie.blogspot.com/
- *Virginian Pilot: *1)http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/virginian-pilot-ledger-star-norfolk/mi_8014/is_20091205/dreaming-green-christmas/ai_n42734009/pg_2/ ; *2)http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Olive/ODE/VirginianPilot/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=VmlyZ2luaWFuUGlsb3QvMjAwOS8xMi8xNA..&pageno=MzE.&entity=QXIwMzExMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5
Daily Comet: http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20091204/ARTICLES/912049903/1008?Title=There-8217-s-a-tricky-etiquette-to-regifting Louisiana
Democrats” blog: http://norfolkcitydems.blogspot.com/2009/12/12-tips-for-green-holiday.html Norfolk City Tribune: http://www.insidebayarea.com/business/ci_13869029 Oakland Intelligencer-Journal: http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/245617 Lancaster
41. “Recycle, Rebuild, Reuse” blog: http://www.recyclerebuildreuse.com/?p=11870
42. Huffpost Green (The Huffington Post): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/green/
Today: http://content.usatoday.com/topics/article/Religion+and+beliefs/Holidays/ USA
- The Daily Press: http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-biz_singletary_1126nov26,0,4404926.story
- Gainsville.com (The
Sun): http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091203/GUARDIAN/912031029/1002 Gainesville
- Allvoices: http://www.allvoices.com/news/4710989-bad-economy-puts-regifting-in-a-whole-new-light
- The Tribune (The
Tribune): http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2208751 Welland
- Readingeagle.com (“
ReadingEagle”- ): http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=172063 Reading, PA Sun: http://www.calgarysun.com/life/2009/11/07/11668666-sun.html Calgary
Star: http://www.sudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2219496 Sudbury
Daily News: http://www.daytondailynews.com/lifestyle/buying-trends-changing-out-of-necessity-enlightenment-444973.html Dayton
- Townhall.com: http://townhall.com/columnists/MichelleSingletary/2009/11/29/guide_to_a_regifting_revival?page=2
- “Birthday Creative Ideas” blog: http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:FqqPUf-FIYgJ:www.birthday-creative-idea-present.co.cc/blogs.php+regifting+revival&cd=114&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
: http://www2.mysanantonio.com/giftguide/giftguide_regift.shtml San Antonio
- London Free Press: http://save6.sunmedia.ca/Save/classic/doc?docid=109413304&q=%22joanne%20richard%22%20AND%20date%28today%29&stem=true&spaceop=AND&ttype=xsl&tval=headline_sun&pos=1&hn=2&pubAbbrev=sunmedia&dtokey=ergjfq
Standard: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2224002 St. Catharines
- Christian Science Monitor: *1.)http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2009/1216/In-hard-times-Americans-innovate-on-holiday-gifts-and-giving *2) http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2009/1216/If-you-regift-at-least-do-it-well
- All Business: http://www.allbusiness.com/chemicals/specialty-chemicals-industry/13592990-1.html
: http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_Biz_S_single13.3738b6b.html?npc Enterprise
- 99Actions: http://www.99actions.org/en/content/how-regift-and-get-away-it
Beacon Herald: http://stratfordbeaconherald.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2208894 Stratford
- The Sault Star: http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2208468&auth=JOANNE+RICHARD
- Northern News: http://www.northernnews.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2212652
Current: http://hartfordcourant.p2ionline.com/HolidayWishes/ss/index.aspx?webstoryid=17667357&area=SS&type=art&adgroupid=181988&adid=2316296&parentid=17667354&menu=-30.1 Hartford
- Southtown Star: http://blogs.southtownstar.com/money/2009/12/priceless_gifts_zero_pricetags.html
- (Blog): http://shuntezwoodmentoring.wordpress.com/2009/12/17/3802/
- DayLife: http://www.daylife.com/article/0gRI6owb209Ij?q=Consumer+Reports
News-Sun: http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/lifestyle/holiday-shopping-trends-changing-out-of-necessity-enlightenment-444973.html Springfield
- The Business Exchange: http://bx.businessweek.com/debit-card-industry/regifting-revival/12147546985128168741-c6306e40bc266bfd6cd8f5b3a7115552/
Times Gazette: http://www.times-gazette.com/images/tg_media/20091125/pdf/E05.pdf Ashland
- *Rodale.com: http://www.rodale.com/regifting
Post-Gazette: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022646-323.stm Pittsburgh
Post: http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_14044219 Denver
- Istockanalyst: http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/3731795
- Treehugger: http://topics.treehugger.com/article/0dmVdmF4CF1fw?q=%22book+review%22+OR+%22review+book%22+OR+%22new+book%22
- Standard Net Live: http://www.standard.net/topics/features/2009/12/21/regifting-recycling
- Wopular: http://www.wopular.com/re-gifting-done-right-way-its-perfectly-acceptable-author-says
Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2009/12/26/1_REGIFTING.ART_ART_12-26-09_D1_8JG1IKQ.html?sid=101 Columbus